Re: Titanis walleri from Texas

Quoting Jeff Hecht <jeff@jeffhecht.com>:

According to my notes, dating based on the uptake of rare-earth elements (a new technique) was done on the Sante Fe River, Florida and Texas sites. In both cases, the Titanis fossils were mingled with fossils from both the Pliocene/early Pleistocene and the late Pleistocene. In Santa Fe, FL, the rare-earth element signatures matched those of 2 million year old mammal fossils. In Texas, the rare-earth signatures matched those of Pliocene horse fossils. That implies there is no evidence for late Pleistocene Titanis.

And therefore, I take it, that the _Titanis_ remains found mingled with Pleistocene fossils were reworked?

--
Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics

"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    --Edwin H. Land