Re: Titanis walleri from Texas

At 9:02 PM -0400 10/28/06, Nick Pharris wrote:
>Quoting Jeff Hecht <jeff@jeffhecht.com>:
>
>> According to my notes, dating based on the uptake of rare-earth elements (a
>> new technique) was done on the Sante Fe River, Florida and Texas sites. In
>> both cases, the Titanis fossils were mingled with fossils from both the
>> Pliocene/early Pleistocene and the late Pleistocene. In Santa Fe, FL, the
>> rare-earth element signatures matched those of 2 million year old mammal
>> fossils. In Texas, the rare-earth signatures matched those of Pliocene horse
>> fossils. That implies there is no evidence for late Pleistocene Titanis.
>
>And therefore, I take it, that the _Titanis_ remains found mingled with
>Pleistocene fossils were reworked?

That's what they imply. They state that the fossils from the two periods were
"temporally mixed" at both sites, and they tried the rare-earth technique to
figure out which period the Titanis fossils had come from. They didn't describe
the sites in detail, and I'm not a geologist, so I don't know how the mixing
took place.
--
Jeff Hecht, science & technology writer
jeff@jeffhecht.com  http://www.jhecht.net