Re: Lampreys Haven't Changed Much In 360 my

On 10/30/06, Eric Martichuski <herewiss13@hotmail.com> wrote:
Call me provincial but "fish blood" seems like a pretty restricted
ecological resource all by itself. ;-)

Fish flesh too - like most of shark. Or plant leaves - like most of herbivores.

Perhaps by "specialized" they might mean "highly derived"?  *shrug*  As a
layman, I probably don't have the language to articulate what I think I
mean. ;-)

Derived from what? We all are a highly derived bacterium. In some sense lamprey is more similar to a vermiform ancestral chordate than a tetrapod.

[]s,

Roberto Takata