Re: Essentialism and such (was a bunch of previous subject lines)

On 29/10/2006, at 1:12 AM, Carl wrote:
...Typology? Essentialism? (Is there a difference?) I don't know, but I
hope it's of interest.
There is. Typology is roughly the view that a given taxon has a type. Essentialism is the view that all members of the taxon have a set of unique and universal traits or properties. Typology was (and is) widespread, while essentialism, so far as I can tell, was only ever a nominal or diagnostic or identification matter.

And neither are correlated with fixism of species...

--
John S. Wilkins, Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Biohumanities Project
University of Queensland - Blog: evolvethought.blogspot.com