Re: Lampreys Haven't Changed Much In 360 my

Tommy Tyrberg wrote:

Actually we are probably *several* highly derived bacteria.

In the broadest sense of the word "bacteria", this could be true. However, these days (and in fact for quite a while now), a separate branch of prokaryotic microbes is recognized: the archaea. Archaea are distinct from true bacteria, and in many respects they are much more similar to us than they are to bacteria.

It all depends on whether or not you go for Woese's "Three Domain" hypothesis. I do.

Cheers

Tim

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC. Get a free 90-day trial! http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail