Re: place names and fossils

Quoting David Marjanovic <david.marjanovic@gmx.at>:

Another reason to collect and aim to preserve as much
as possible of these peoples' traditions as still
possible... the Tjapwuring language for example is
sadly extinct, essentially prohibiting to get behind
the original stories of the "mihirung".

Which language? This supposedly comprehensive list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Australian_Aboriginal_languages doesn't contain it, and (at least) the first page of Google results is about dromornithids. It's not a dialect of the Western Desert language...

I'm asking because speakers of related languages may have related myths.

I checked Google, and the only sites that use the spelling "Tjapwuring" are ones that talk about Mihirungs.

I suspect it's a reference to Jab-wurrung, a dialect of the language known as Wemba-Wemba or Wembawemba. Several language and dialect names in the area (western Victoria) end in -wurrung; I suspect it probably means "speech" or "language".

--
Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics

"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    --Edwin H. Land