Re: place names and fossils

* It would be wonderful if some paleontologists and linguists/ folklorists would collaborate on an article or a book about Aboriginal fossil legends before it's too late!

* China's rich fossil legends are just waiting for a similar treatment.

* North Africa and subsaharan Africa are other fossiferous locales with rich opportunities for collecting fossil-related traditions.

* South America too--there must be local lore in Patagonia (Darwin and Simpson published some hints) and other regions with impressive, noticeable dinosaur fossils and trackways in the southern hemisphere

* Canada's First Nations certainly have numerous oral traditions that relate to fossils.

* I started the ball rolling with "fossil hunters in togas" and Native American fossil legends, but I don't have the knowledge or time to do credit to the above topics. But if I can be of any help in encouraging such projects by members (or students) on the vrtpaleo and dinosaur lists, eg putting people in touch with others, etc, let me know.

Adrienne