From: "dinoboygraphics@aol.com" <dinoboygraphics@aol.com>
To: mickey_mortimer111@msn.com; dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Wednesday, April 4, 2007 5:50:49 PM
Subject: Re: Dinosaurs and birds

>>>What does Sapeornis bring to this issue? It didn't have an ossified
sternum either, and its short coracoid (shorter than most other
maniraptorans in fact) and reduced acromion process suggest its
supracoracoideus was even less flight-adpated than Archaeopteryx,
correct? Yet it has huge arms with a well developed deltopectoral crest
and reduced manual digit III. Do you believe Sapeornis was flightless
too? <<<

That's a fantastic question Mickey, and we can't answer it as long as
people just assume that Archaeopteryx was volant and therefore all more
advanced birds must have been too. For example, dinosaur including
Archaeopteryx are abysmal in adaptation for climbing.  Now imagine that
wing assisted incline running (WAIR) opened up arborreal niches
(because all of the biomechanical arguements against dinosaurs in trees
go out the window if you can walk up a trunk) for the first time,
leading to an explosion in arborreal but largely non-volant winged
theropods.  What would that have looked like?  I'd imagine that you
would have winged birdy critters that had well developed deltoid
muscles, and little need for large pectoral muscles on the sternum, nor
for a stabilizing role of the AHL on the downstroke (which would be
much weaker), nor even a need for the glenoid to face as upward as it
does in volant birds.  Sound familiar?

Did Sapeornis and Jeholornis fly?  Quite possibly, but shouldn't we
perhaps test between the above hypothesis and the prevaling assumption
of volancy?  As other non-volant, winged maniraptorans show, there are
a wide range of things you can do with wings that don't require actual
flight, and we need to be critically examining them rather that
grandfathering in Archaeopteyrx, and therefore all animals closer to
birds than Archaeopteryx, on little more than 150 years of tradition.

Scott Hartman
Science Director
Wyoming Dinosaur Center
110 Carter Ranch Rd.