Re: Dinosaurs and birds

----- Original Message -----
Perfect. Thanks for the ref. Yes, it seems to me that 'synchronicity' of the fore-limbs must come first (before the flight-stroke),

What about swans, which use a somewhat asymmetric takeoff wingstroke synched with their leg alternation?
This can be most easily seen by watching the left wing precede and lead slightly on one wingbeat, followed by the right wing leading on the next, then the left, etc. It is most obvious when watching a water launch from directly in front of the animal. As an aside, swan wing kinematics during the low-speed portion of a water launch are one of the most elegant procedures I've ever seen. There is no portion of the wingbeat that is not generating useful forces, some of which are not intuitive.
JimC