From: jrc <jrccea@bellsouth.net>
To: d_ohmes@yahoo.com
Cc: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2007 11:29:52 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Dinosaurs and birds

----- Original Message -----

> No, I don't. As the car accelerates (w/in reason), I give a little jump,
> and make some progress, effectively increasing stride length.

Have you actually tried it, Don?  :-)  I have, and though I had an athletic
scholarship in college, I found I'm not athletic enough to do that without
busting my fanny.....  I've not tried it recently, as I've found that as a
consquence of advancing age, I no longer bounce when I hit the ground.

> BTW-- did you notice that Mike H. actually admitted I was (at least in
> theory) right in that inclines are not essential to wing-assisted
> evo-scenario's? It was buried pretty deep, but it was there. Ha!

Ummh, near as I can tell, Mike has never thought that inclines are essential
to wing evolution.  He seems to be well aware that there's more than one way
to skin a cat and to be quite familiar with the different skinning
techniques.  My perception was that he was discussing  the implications of
direction of force production in incline running scenarios.  But, I don't
want to put words in his mouth........

Personally, I think that increases in mobility and extraction of energy from
gust transients were two of the prime movers in early wing evolution.
The commonality between these and incline running is that they all act to
manipulate the acceleration-gravity vector operating on the animal.  More
generally, ANY activity that does that will drive wing evolution toward an
eventual flight-worthy wing.
JimC