Re: British mesozoic birds?

> > This conversation ("dinosaurs and birds") has
> started me wondering
> > again....were there any Mesozoic-era birds (by any
> definition - anything
> > closer than *Eotyrannus* is good) in the United
> Kingdom?

There's also Nuthetes destructor (purported dromaeosaur, Milner, 2002) from the
Purbeck (lowermost Cretaceous), isolated large velociraptorine teeth from the
Wessex Fm (Sweetman, 2004), various odds and ends from small theropods (Martill
& Naish, IOW book, 2001) interpreted as possible oviraptorid (Thecocoelurus,
Naish & Martill, 2002), compsognathid, and troodontids, and of course, all
sorts of undescribed stuff.

As far as 'birds' proper in the Wessex, Wyleyia is the only thing i have ever
seen or heard of. I found an extremely small hollowed out limb bone in the
conglomerates of the Wessex... but really it's not possible to tell if this is
a  tiny pterosaur, or dinosaur, nor even which element really.

I should imagine that these animals are there. It isn't true that the UK
Wealden lacks preservational modes conducive to preserving wee birds. The
Vectis Fm (lagoonal) would be an ideal candidate; it would be considered a
lagerstatten if it were exposed in any other country. Trouble is, exposure is
poor, and material is not recovered all that commonly. Also, as mentioned, the
conglomerate channel lags are a <perhaps> surprising source of isolated
pterosaur bones. These are every bit as fragile as birds. We might also expect
to find bird teeth in microvert samples, although I haven't heard any recent
rumblings from Steve Sweetman.

D.