Re: Fw: Dinosaurs and birds

----- Original Message -----
I think I understand the "they-can't-run-any-faster" point/analogy quite well. The analogy isn't apt, nor are your assumptions. You assume that an animal that can generate forward thrust directs it exactly forward/parallel to the ground, and further, cannot quickly re-direct that thrust. You also assume that the thrust generated is constant in force, another major flaw of the car analogy. You further assume that for a speed increase from fore-limb assistance to be advantageous, it must occur at full running speed. None of the above assumptions, although necessary for mathematical analysis, are correct in an _evolutionary_ context.

I grew up on a farm too. Don't miss it much.
I think maybe you're assuming that Mike and I are making assumptions that neither of us assume...... :-)