Re: Fw: Dinosaurs and birds

I'd say that ground-up scenarios that don't presuppose an increase in maximum running speed due to flapping are also feasible and even likely. Transient gusts play a huge role in assisting ground up flight scenarios, and they don't even need to be substantial gusts. Lift increases with the square of the gust speed, so even a 40% gust speed will temporarily double available lift, and the animal can then use gravity to accelerate and maintain that lift while returning to the ground. Running speed isn't terribly important to the ground-up flight scenario. I believe that this is pretty much what Mike thinks as well, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.
JimC

That is indeed very much what I think, as well. Gust utilization also carries the advantage of not requiring a hefty upstroke ability or overall power for moving the wings, which is important because these factors both seem to be pretty delayed in the evolution of avian flight.

Cheers,

--Mike H.