Re: Dinosaur Protein

I'll be excited when they analyze some dinosaur DNA, compare it to modern
birds, and tell us when birds diverged and from what group - or groups - of
dinosaurs.

For the "when" part we'd still need calibration points... from fossils.

Surely they can atleast get mitochondrial DNA?

No, why? Unlike protein, DNA doesn't seem to last longer than 100,000 years under any circumstances, alas. Here we're dealing with 1,000 times that timespan.