Re: Dinosaur Protein

On 4/12/07, Dora Smith <villandra@austin.rr.com> wrote:
I'll be excited when they analyze some dinosaur DNA, compare it to modern
birds, and tell us when birds diverged and from what group - or groups - of
dinosaurs.

Surely they can atleast get mitochondrial DNA?

As mentioned before, no, there's no DNA. It degrades too easily. But having the protein generated from it is not a bad second at all.

Will be very interesting if we can get collagen from other Mesozoic
archosaurs. Would be extremely interesting to be able to compare
molecular vs. morphological phylogenetic analyses for extinct taxa.
--
Mike Keesey