Re: Dinosaur Protein

dinoboygraphics@aol.com writes:
 > If we ever have zoos filled with non-avian dinosaur-ish animals, it
 > won't be from cloning extint DNA, it will be from understanding
 > developmental-genetic mechanisms so well we can custom-design our
 > own organisms.  I know several genetic engineers who think this
 > won't sound terribly far fetched in 20 or 30 years.
 >
 > Of course, if we do this they won't be "real" dinosaurs, just
 > genetic monsters created for our entertainment.

Just to give credit where it's due ...

The novel _Jurassic Park_ is very explicit that the same is true of
their own dinosaurs, which are grown from patched-up DNA put together
from whatever comes to hand.  Like many of the subtleties, this is
lost or watered down in the film, so that all we get is some mumbling
about "amphibian DNA", but Crichton had a little more idea what he was
doing that he is usually given credit for.

)_v__/\  "Your majesty is like a big jam doughnut with cream on top" --
         Monty Python's Oscar Wilde sketch.