Re: Arambougiania Citation Redux

On 4/18/07, MKIRKALDY@aol.com <MKIRKALDY@aol.com> wrote:
In a message dated 4/18/2007 9:07:02 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,  twillia
ms_alpha@hotmail.com writes:

<While on the topic of names, a question regarding the derivation of
_Pantydraco_.  I know that "Panty" refers to Pant-y-ffynnon in  Wales.  But
does anyone know what "panty" means in Welsh?  ("A  really good time" is not
the answer I'm after.) >

You may already know some or all of this (from the Welsh-English  dictionary):

     pant [-iau, m.]
(n.)  hollow, valley, dell, dimple, dingle

y (yr; 'r)
(art.)  the
"'r" is used after vowels; otherwise "yr" is  used before vowels
     ("h" is a vowel); otherwise "y" is used.

ffynnon [ffynhonnau, f.]
(n.) fountain, well, spring

I know Celtic grammar has different word order than most of us are used to, but I can't make any sense of "Valley the Fountain". And does this mean that _Pantydraco_ means "valley the dragon"?

Also, I assume this genus was named because including _T. caducus_ in
_Thecodontosaurus_ made _Thecodontosaurus_ paraphyletic? Is
_Pantydraco_ closer to or further from _Sauropoda_ than
_Thecodontosaurus_ is?

--
Mike Keesey