RE: New Paper (Shorebird pre-K/T divergences)

--- Michael Habib <mhabib5@jhmi.edu> schrieb:

> It does not look like anyone has posted this yet; I
> presume some on the
> list will find it interesting:

You're oh so correct. Thanks!

> Phylogenetic relationships and divergence times of
> Charadriiformes
> genera: multigene evidence for the Cretaceous origin
> of at least 14
> clades of shorebirds
>
> Baker AJ, Pereira SL, Paton TA.  BIOLOGY LETTERS 3
> (2): 205-209 APR 22
> 2007
>
> Abstract:
> Comparative study of character evolution in the
> shorebirds is presently
> limited because the phylogenetic placement of some
> enigmatic genera
> remains unclear. We therefore used Bayesian methods
> to obtain a
> well-supported phylogeny of 90 recognized genera
> using 5 kb of
> mitochondrial and nuclear sequences. The tree
> comprised three major
> clades: Lari (gulls, auks and allies plus
> buttonquails) as sister to

I wonder how well the buttonquails were supported
there this time.

> Scolopaci (sandpipers, jacanas and allies), and in
> turn sister to
> Charadrii (plovers, oystercatchers and allies), as
> in previous
> molecular studies. Plovers and noddies were not
> recovered as
> monophyletic assemblages, and the Egyptian plover
> Pluvianus is
> apparently not a plover. Molecular dating using

Aha? Interesting.

> multiple fossil
> constraints suggests that the three suborders
> originated in the late
> Cretaceous between 79 and 102 Mya, and at least 14
> lineages of modern
> shorebirds survived the mass extinction at the K/T
> boundary. Previous

14 may be a bit much, need to check calibration. But I
am not in the least surprised. Wasn't actually
expecting it, but, well. Need to check calibration.

> difficulties in determining the phylogenetic
> relationships of enigmatic
> taxa reflect the fact that they are
> well-differentiated relicts of old,
> genus-poor lineages. We refrain from suggesting
> systematic revisions
> for shorebirds at this time because gene trees may
> fail to recover the
> species tree when long branches are connected to
> deep, shorter
> branches, as is the case for some of the enigmatic
> taxa.

Sounds good.

"Nice paper. I'll take it!"

All the best,