Galactic forces at work in mas extinctions?

Happened across this article today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18277613/

Do cosmic forces control life on Earth?
Motions of our solar system are similar to Earth's biodiversity cycle

The rise and fall of species on Earth might be driven in part by the
undulating motions of our solar system as it travels through the disk
of the Milky Way, scientists say.

Two years ago, scientists at the University of California, Berkeley
found the marine fossil record shows that biodiversityâthe number of
different species alive on the planetâincreases and decreases on a
62-million-year cycle. At least two of the Earth's great mass
extinctions â the Permian extinction 250 million years ago and the
Ordovician extinction about 450 million years agoâcorrespond with
peaks of this cycle, which can't be explained by evolutionary theory.

[...]

--
T. Michael Keesey
Director of Technology