Re: hunters in belgum

Tobi,

The whole fossil fauna of an area is never completely preserved, discovered and recovered because of several things. Firstly, the process of fossilization preserves hard things selectively. You tend to find hard things like teeth before you find soft things like skin. So soft bodied, lightly boned (or no boned) things are less likely to be fossilized. Secondly, common things are preserved more often than rare things. For instance, common prey species will be preserved more often than the few predators that feed on them. The Belgium Iguanodon was certainly a common prey species and probably quite numerous. I find many, many prey species teeth versus just a few carnivore teeth in my digs. (Triceratops teeth are by far the most common tooth fossil in the upper Cretaceous Hell Creek Formation at my ranch located in Montana and Wyoming.) www.wyomingdinosaurs.com Also, prey species often had many teeth that they constantly shed for new teeth so an individual dinosaur could shed hundred of teeth over their lifetime.

Since the Wealden strata in Belgium (proper) apparently contain few widespread dinosaur fossils to begin with, (with the exception of that 19th century find of 20 iguanodons in the coal mine) there would be relatively fewer predators species to find. Thirdly, you have the problem of two moments in time having to cross paths. Your time line and the fossils time line have to be in the same place at the same moment. If a dinosaur fossil weathered out 10,000 years ago, you will not find anything but a pile of bone dust. If it hasn't weathered out yet, you will not see it even if it is a few inches below the surface. Most dinosaur material is not found by digging (pick a site and just start digging), it is found by systematically walking around and area known for having dinosaur remains and using your eyes to look for clues. The 5 square miles of "dinosaur bearing" Hell Creek Formation on my ranch has yielded but only a few thousand square feet of rich fossil bearing rocks. There is much much more here, but it is not exposed on the surface, I have not found it (under a cactus where I haven't looked), or it has already weathered away and is dust in the wind. Only a relatively small amount of material is found accidently by digging randomly as by backhoes on a building project or a mine shaft. I do point out that some of these accidental finds have been significant and impressive.

Belgium is a small country of about 11000 square mile. The county I live in (Campbell County, Wyoming) is almost 5000 square miles and the next county to the east (Crook) is nearly 3000 square miles. There are fewer dinosaurian fossils in Crook County but many in Campbell (because of there the dinosaur bearing rocks happen to outcrop.) I live 4 miles from the border of Crook county. There are none in the county to the west. It is a matter of coincidence where the geopolitical boundaries lie with respect to the occurrence of dinosaur remains. There are theropod (dinosaur predator) fossils from the Wealden strata outside and around Belgium so there are representative occurrences nearby.

Keep asking questions, pay your dues and look for clues.

Best

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming 82731