Re: Request for suggested reading material

On 4/29/07, Sam Barnett <sam.horus@gmail.com> wrote:
Good evening all,
I am attempting to broaden my knowledge of the surrounding wildlife &
foliage during the mesozoic era - in other words sick of drawing the
same 3 plants, the same inexplicable fish and erring on the side of
caution with miscellaneous dragonfly-like creatures as backdrops to my
dinosaurs.

So this weekend I purchased a copy of Kormann & Hemsley's The
Evolution of Plant Architecture, 1999.  I was wondering if anyone else
could recommend some good books (preferrably with big photographic
plates) outlining the known specimens of insect, fish and plant life
at that time.  I don't mind if these are in separate books - in fact
I'd almost prefer that they were, as more specific books mean more
information or at least larger print and I can't say no to either of
these.

EVOLUTION OF THE INSECTS by David Grimaldi and Michael Engel is an excellent book, with engaging text and tons of big color photos. I can't remember the last time I read a book like that from cover to cover.

I've been wanting to find a similar book for the evolution of
plants--do you recommend Kormann & Helmsley? Does anyone else have
some recommendations?

--
Mike Keesey