Re: Planet of the New Papers

On 8/17/07, john hunt <john.bass@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> Not being funny - but not being published in English is a waste of paper.
> Although the mass immigration from Mexico is causing some US states to
> become bi-lingual, nevertheless English is rapidly becoming the world
> language, although it may surprise some of our US members that yes, English
> is spoken and read in England (and indeed the UK).

Y quÃ? Si no puede entender un titulo como "Un dinosaurio
'iguanodÃntido' del CretÃcico Inferior de Burgos (EspaÃa)",
entonces....

Seriously, it's not that hard for us native English speakers to pick
up salient facts from a paper written with Latin script in another
European language (some exceptions)--most of the important vocabulary
is inherited from Latin or Greek, anyway. It's not like trying to read
Chinese.

And, even if it were, the Anglo world isn't the only world out there.
Sure, writing in English makes it easier for *us* to understand
(usually--not everyone's English is up to the task), but not for
*everyone*.

Besides, according to the Science Citation Index's 1997 study, about
95% of all scientific literature being published is in English,
anyway. NINETY-FIVE PERCENT. Isn't that enough?

I'd be kind of sad to see it made an even 100....
--
Mike Keesey
Los Angeles, ex-Mexico