Re: Planet of the New Papers

From: Michael Mortimer <mickey_mortimer111@msn.com>
To: Subject: Re: Planet of the New Papers
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:37:10 +0000

T. Michael Keesey wrote-

Well, the Argentinian, Spanish, and Mexican scientists can all use
Spanish (and probably still not lose the Brazilian audience), but I
recognize your point. The real question is: Is reaching an
international audience the primary priority of all papers? Yes,
English will reach the widest audience, worldwide. But if you're a
speaker of another language who's writing on a matter that may be of
more interest in your sector of the world than it would be to
foreigners, it may make sense to use another language. Why gain
readers on the other side of the globe at the risk of losing readers
close to home?

Why would a scientist ever NOT want to reach a global audience? Science is a worldwide endeavor, not a local one. Local discoveries have huge effects on global studies, whether in phylogenetics, biostraigraphy, biomechanics, etc.. Look at how that little corner of Liaoning has revolutionized theropod studies. I'm a firm advocate of unifying language to improve global communication, especially in science. Then we wouldn't have situations like Jixiangornis and Dalianraptor, where I and most other theropod workers have no way of deciphering their descriptions. There's no more reason to keep other languages than there is to keep other measurement systems. They just divide and obfuscate.

*Tyrannosaurus rex* is *Tyrannosaurus rex* in English and Chinese.

...and undoubtedly in Xhosa and Khmer too.  ;)

Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes! http://club.live.com/clink.aspx?icid=clink_hotmailtextlink2