Re: Planet of the New Papers

From: Jeff Hecht <jeff@jeffhecht.com>
To: keenir@hotmail.com, mickey_mortimer111@msn.com, dinosaur@usc.edu
Subject: Re: Planet of the New Papers
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 22:15:39 -0400

At 1:06 AM +0000 8/21/07, Anthony Docimo wrote:

>*Tyrannosaurus rex* is *Tyrannosaurus rex* in English and Chinese.
>
>...and undoubtedly in Xhosa and Khmer too. ;)

But in French it comes out "Rex de Tyrannosaurus", according to my computer. And I really wonder what it would look like if transliterated into Chinese characters.

At least one book on dinosaurs had one page with a paleontological report written in Chinese characters, and clearly visible were the Latin *Tyrannosaurus rex*....and the sidebar explained that the names do not change, no matter what language is used.

Tease your brain--play Clink! Win cool prizes! http://club.live.com/clink.aspx?icid=clink_hotmailtextlink2