Re: Back to the Campanian

Digging though my list of possible Neornithes from
that era, I came across the paper on _Piksi
barbarulna_. The namesake elbow has me puzzled - the
authors don't discuss this, but would "the large
dorsal epicondyle of the humerus and the large dorsal
cotyla of the ulna" not put mechanical limitations on
wing extension and pronation/supination?

It might create some limitations on those motions, but I wouldn't think it would limit them much. Large epicondyles are not particularly uncommon in modern birds (though they usually aren't quite as bulbous as in the specimen in question). Wing extension could be affected a bit, but in practice this was likely moot because the elbow is somewhat flexed in flight position anyway.

Cheers,

--Mike H.