Re: Still not a happy camper

In fact, the Compsognathus speed estimate is just the most obvious part of an overall trend (found by Sellers and Manning) that seems to be clearly erroneous. Namely, they found a near-linear inverse relationship between body mass and speed. Having gone over the methods fairly quickly thus far, I have yet to find where this result is likely to have come from. Regardless, it seems to me that some parameter fed to the evolutionary algorithm resulted in the model "expecting" mass to predict speed in a linear fashion (which is dubious to start with), and in an inverse manner (which is even worse). Obviously, the smallest animals do not have the highest absolute speeds, so something is awry. We might expect the smallest theropods to have the highest relative speeds of the group, and I wonder if there was a glitch somewhere that ended up translating high relative speed into exceptional absolute speed estimates.

Cheers,

--Mike H.