Re: Long Bone Scaling in Neosauropod Dinosaurs

On 8/30/07, Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com> wrote:
[snip]
>  > the isometric scaling strongly suggested an aquatic habit....
>
> And yet isometry or near-isometry is much more common in limb bones
> that we'd naively expect.  McNeill Alexander, for one, has repeatedly
> made the point that the long bones of elephants are proportionally
> more gracile than those of much smaller rhinos and hippos.  The
> interpretation seems to be that large animals simply move much more
> carefully than smaller ones: they don't need to be athletic since they
> don't need to deal with all that dangerous messing about with predator
> avoidance that constrains smaller animals.

Do hippos suffer more from predation than do elephants? Photage of
lions killing and eating, not necessarily in that order, healthy adult
elephants caused something of a stir a couple of years ago - I cannot
recall hearing of any predator taking down equivalent hippopotami
(humans excepted).

--
Andreas Johansson