To: <dinosaur@usc.edu>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 7:23 PM
Subject: Dakota the Dinosaur Mummy

Delurking for a moment.

None of the posted links seem to work for me so speaking from only the posts so far......

Notable indeed!

How does a "big ass" translate into the animal moved more quickly? Besides, filling a skin capsule could be with fat or fat marbling muscle instead of pure muscle. Iguanas et al use their hind ends/ tails to store fat for instance. I ask, is there a likely possibility other than the obvious inverse relationship that one would expect (that adding mass decreases speed)? Having a "big ass" certainly could lower the center of gravity but that doesn't make a Ferrari out of a LandCruiser. The biggest horses are not the fastest ones by any means. That is why the Clydesdales pull beer wagons and don't go out jogging at the race track every day. I'll place my wager on the T-rex (assuming they were hunters and not just overgrown vultures) against the "fat ass" (ed) hadrosaur any day and take odds on the bet.

Frank (Rooster) Bliss
MS Biostratigraphy
Weston, Wyoming
www.wyomingdinosaurs.com