Re: Dakota the Dinosaur Mummy

I'll join the other skeptics here and suggest that many factors other than simply the mass of the hip muscles would factor into an analysis of running ability; muscle shape, for one thing, and the moment arms of the muscles about the hip for another. I don't know if these can be determined from this fossil or not, but they are important. Also, as Michael states, this says nothing about T. rex.

PTJN

----- Original Message ----- From: "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: Dakota the Dinosaur Mummy

On Dec 2, 2007 11:37 AM, <MKIRKALDY@aol.com> wrote:

"The fossilized duckbilled hadrosaur is so well preserved that scientists
have been able to calculate its muscle mass and learn that it was more muscular
than thought, probably giving it the ability to outrun predators such as a
tyrannosaurus rex."

Wouldn't we need a mummified _Tyrannosaurus_ to be sure of that?

--
Mike Keesey