Re: Dakota the Dinosaur Mummy

Is anybody on the list involved in this scanning process? I live in LA, about 30 miles from Boeing and would like see the fossil! When the earthquake in 94 destroyed CalArts classes were moved to that facility. I animated some Cadillacs and Dinosaurs scenes there.
If by a miracle you know a guy who knows a guy, could you reply off- list?

David Krentz

On Dec 3, 2007, at 1:44 PM, ptnorton wrote:

I'll join the other skeptics here and suggest that many factors other than simply the mass of the hip muscles would factor into an analysis of running ability; muscle shape, for one thing, and the moment arms of the muscles about the hip for another. I don't know if these can be determined from this fossil or not, but they are important. Also, as Michael states, this says nothing about T. rex.

PTJN

----- Original Message ----- From: "T. Michael Keesey" <keesey@gmail.com >
Sent: Sunday, December 02, 2007 2:54 PM
Subject: Re: Dakota the Dinosaur Mummy

On Dec 2, 2007 11:37 AM, <MKIRKALDY@aol.com> wrote:

"The fossilized duckbilled hadrosaur is so well preserved that scientists
have been able to calculate its muscle mass and learn that it was more muscular
than thought, probably giving it the ability to outrun predators such as a
tyrannosaurus rex."

Wouldn't we need a mummified _Tyrannosaurus_ to be sure of that?

--
Mike Keesey