RE: The New Papers Before Christmas

I wrote:

> According to Agnolin, yes. _Brontornis_ is regarded as a basal anseriform,
> along with dromornithids and _Diatryma_. _Diatryma_, _Brontornis_ and
> Dromornithidae come out as successive outgroups between Galliformes and
> Anseres. Phorusrhacids are even more basal, outside Galloanseres.

Actually, phorusrhacids aren't 'even more basal' - they just lie outside the
Galloanseres (which is what I meant to say).  But it is striking how many
large, heavy and/or flightless birds end up at or near the base of the
Neornithes.  Maybe other large enigmatic birds will turn up here once they are
better known - like _Eremopezus_ or _Stromeria_.

Cheers

Tim

You keep typing, we keep giving. Download Messenger and join the i’m Initiative
now.