Re: Greg Paul's new (or newly named) iguanodonts

I was going to offer the paper off line :-) copyright
issues.. I didn't even knew that my files could be
found! fortunately I discovered in time, thanks!
There were drafts of papers in preparation uploaded
there... ouch!
I did a quick search using Google Books and found a
certain Dollodon genus of Girard, so its possibly pre
occupied by a mammal?, I notified Paul yesterday.

Mark Van Tomme

http://www.4shared.com/file/31263941/b585bb7a/Iguanodont_diversity.html

> [...]
> genera and a new species have been or are named for
> the gracile iguanodonts
> of the
> Wealden Supergroup; strongly bipedal Mantellisaurus
> atherfieldensis Paul,
> 2006
> (holotype BMNH R5764) which possesses a
> camptosaur-like ilial shape, and the
> long
> snouted, long bodied, small hipped, semi-bipedal
> Dollodon bampingi gen. nov.
> sp. nov.
> (holotype IRSNB 1551) which has a shallow ilium.
> Insufficiently diagnostic
> I. hoggii is
> removed from the earlier Camptosaurus. Poorly
> described I. dawsoni, I.
> fittoni and I.
> hollingtoniensis are removed from the much later and
> more derived Iguanodon
> and
> considered Ornithopoda incertae sedis pending
> redescription. The synonymy of
> I. fittoni
> and I. hollingtoniensis has not been confirmed. A
> set of remains of similar
> age to I. fittoni
> and I. hollingtoniensis appear to combine a
> specialized, elongate dentary
> with massive
> arms: it either belongs to one of the contemporary
> taxa, or is a new,
> unnamed taxon.
> There has recently been a tendency to consider
> iguanodonts spatially remote
> from I.
> bernissartensis to be members of or very similar to
> the type species, but
> reanalysis finds
> that I. orientalis is not a junior synonym of I.
> bernissartensis and is a
> nomen dubium, and
> that basal I. lakotaensis is not a member of
> Iguanodon and accordingly is
> assigned the
> new genus Dakotadon gen. nov. (holotype SDSM 8656).
> Dakotadon is probably
> basal to
> Iguanodon and not an iguanodontoid. The higher
> taxonomy of iguanodontoids is
> confused due to phylogenetic problems, and
> inconsistent definitions of the
> Iguanodontidae (which as currently defined appears
> to be limited to
> Iguanodon) and
> Hadrosauroidea. Mantellisaurus and especially
> Dollodon, for instance, are
> probably more
> derived than Iguanodon: they may be hadrosauroids
> depending on which
> phylogenetic
> definition of the term is preferred.
>
> Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> Email: tholtz@umd.edu Phone: 301-405-4084
> Office: Centreville 1216
> http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
> Fax: 301-314-9661
>
> Faculty Director, Earth, Life & Time Program,
> College Park Scholars
> http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite/
> Fax: 301-405-0796
>
> Mailing Address:      Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.

Be a better friend, newshound, and