Re: Greg Paul's new (or newly named) iguanodonts

Gregory Paul just told me that in fact it's the genus
Doliodon of Girard and not Dollodon! a Google Books
trick :-)

Mark Van Tomme

http://www.4shared.com/file/31263941/b585bb7a/Iguanodont_diversity.html

> [...]
> Mantellisaurus
> > atherfieldensis Paul,
> > 2006
> > (holotype BMNH R5764) which possesses a
> > camptosaur-like ilial shape, and the
> > long
> > snouted, long bodied, small hipped, semi-bipedal
> > Dollodon bampingi gen. nov.
> > sp. nov.
> > (holotype IRSNB 1551) which has a shallow ilium.
> > Insufficiently diagnostic
> > I. hoggii is
> > removed from the earlier Camptosaurus. Poorly
> > described I. dawsoni, I.
> > fittoni and I.
> > hollingtoniensis are removed from the much later
> and
> > more derived Iguanodon
> > and
> > considered Ornithopoda incertae sedis pending
> > redescription. The synonymy of
> > I. fittoni
> > and I. hollingtoniensis has not been confirmed. A
> > set of remains of similar
> > age to I. fittoni
> > and I. hollingtoniensis appear to combine a
> > specialized, elongate dentary
> > with massive
> > arms: it either belongs to one of the contemporary
> > taxa, or is a new,
> > unnamed taxon.
> > There has recently been a tendency to consider
> > iguanodonts spatially remote
> > from I.
> > bernissartensis to be members of or very similar
> > the type species, but
> > reanalysis finds
> > that I. orientalis is not a junior synonym of I.
> > bernissartensis and is a
> > nomen dubium, and
> > that basal I. lakotaensis is not a member of
> > Iguanodon and accordingly is
> > assigned the
> > new genus Dakotadon gen. nov. (holotype SDSM
> 8656).
> > Dakotadon is probably
> > basal to
> > Iguanodon and not an iguanodontoid. The higher
> > taxonomy of iguanodontoids is
> > confused due to phylogenetic problems, and
> > inconsistent definitions of the
> > Iguanodontidae (which as currently defined appears
> > to be limited to
> > Iguanodon) and
> > Hadrosauroidea. Mantellisaurus and especially
> > Dollodon, for instance, are
> > probably more
> > derived than Iguanodon: they may be hadrosauroids
> > depending on which
> > phylogenetic
> > definition of the term is preferred.
> >
> > Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
> > Email: tholtz@umd.edu       Phone: 301-405-4084
> > Office: Centreville 1216
> > Senior Lecturer, Vertebrate Paleontology
> > Dept. of Geology, University of Maryland
> > http://www.geol.umd.edu/~tholtz/
> > Fax: 301-314-9661
> >
> > Faculty Director, Earth, Life & Time Program,
> > College Park Scholars
> > http://www.geol.umd.edu/~jmerck/eltsite/
> > Fax: 301-405-0796
> >
> > Mailing Address:    Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.

Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.