RE: Greg Paul's new (or newly named) iguanodonts

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]
> On Behalf Of Tim Williams
>
> Tom Holtz wrote:
>
> > The original work of Gauthier, Clark & Benton, Parrish, &
> colleagues
> > back in the 1980s was really to sort out this mess, and
> resolve that
> > classic archosaurs fell into three clusters: dinosaurs, pterosaurs,
> > and their kin; primitive guys (the traditional "proterosuchians" as
> > well as Euparkeria and Proterochampsidae); and the
> croc-ankle cluster.
>
> There was a fourth category (not so much a 'cluster'), which
> might  be called "WTF".  Things like _Longisquama_ and
> _Sharovipteryx_ (_Podopteryx_) ended up here.  :-)

But that really only existed in the "anti-dinosaurian origin of birds"
community (okay, and the Russians). It wasn't part of the normal discourse
of Thecodontia.

> > And really: those who have argued for a "thecodont" origin
> since the
> > 1970s (Tarsitano, Martin, etc.) argued for relationships
> with animals
> > that thecodont workers (Charig, Parrish, Chatterjee) would not
> > consider thecodonts at all!!
>
> Except for maybe _Scleromochlus_ (which has popped up as a
> prospective'pro-avian' once or twice).  But yes, I know
> exactly what you mean.

Okay, and _Lagosuchus_. But really, once you start arguing for origins
within Ornithodira, you really aren't terribly far off of the dinosaurian
origin hypothesis... :-)

[snip]

> > (This is opposed to the Heilmann model, which did derive
> birds out of
> > Euparkeria-like forms).
>
> I think he might have put _Ornithosuchus_ there too.  Not
> 100% sure though.

Yes, indeed.

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084