RE: The iguanodont paper

Mike Keesey wrote:

> Actually, the apomorphy is "wings used for powered flight" -- so it's
> both.

It's a tough gig trying to apply that particular definition to the fossil
record! Apomorphy-based clade definitions are problematic enough... but having
definitions based on interpretations of behavior seems to be buying trouble.

> The clade of winged dinosaurs is _Aviremigia_. (For example,
> oviraptorosaurs are probably non-avialan aviremigians.)

I just re-read the Gauthier and de Queiroz paper that came up with Aviremigia,
Avipinna, etc. I don't think that these particular apomorohy-based clades were
actually formally erected and defined, just proposed as prospective clades. As
for Aviremigia, the (proposed) definition refers to the presence of remiges and
rectrices on the forelimbs and tail.

Cheers

Tim
Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007