Re: Why did small dinos become extinct?

I'm rather disappointed at the lack of response to my original question - is there a decent explanation for the extinction of small non-flying predatory dinosaurs (including those which are regarded by some as secondarily flightless birds)? The "standard theory" of the K-T extinction is that a catastrophe killed off vegetation, the herbivores starved and so the carnivores starved. But one would expect that small non-flying predatory dinosaurs could have survived by preying on lizards, invertebrates, mammals, etc. which survived the K-T extinction.

This requires that large numbers of individuals of mammals etc. survived, enough to sustain viable populations of predators -- and that was apparently not the case (as expected from the impact hypothesis). Indeed, several clades of mammals and lizards died out altogether.