Re: T. rex vs Edmontosaurus speed

Strip the recycled footage and post-commercial recaps from the two recent
National Geographic documentaries and you're not really left with much, but as
a computer programmer, I'll admit that I was wholly fascinated by the brief
glimpses of the software used to predict Dakota's gait and maximum running
speed. Ultimately the software was fed data on both Dakota's musculature and
skeletal anatomy, and presumably took them into account in combination.
Further, a statement was made suggesting that accurate results were obtained
when supplying data for living animals, with a few onscreen examples provided.

No doubt some of us (myself included) question the wisdom of releasing
information on Dakota to the mainstream media outlets prior to the publication
of a peer-reviewed journal article, but having watched Dino Autopsy, I
certainly didn't get the impression that the speed estimates were purely
conjecture. Granted, having similar data on the musculature of T. rex would
allow for the best comparison, but I've seen plenty of published speed
estimates for T. rex, and know that some portion of them have actual science
behind them. In my mind at least, the claim that Dakota could have outrun a T.
rex is not wholly unreasonable, but it would be easier to react to if we were
reading about it in a paper first.

It would be interesting to know whether the software could indeed accurately
predict speed in Jim's horse and dog scenarios, below.

Rob Taylor
rjtaylor68@comcast.net