Re: Dinosaur themes in science fiction

I've found that if there is a "Lost World" scenario, what draws the explorers there in the first place is often what reflects the desires of society when they are written. The story often ends up reflecting what society has lost.

In the original Kong it was about Hollywood escapism during the depression, with undertones of modern girl power. In the 70's version it was about crude oil and the genesis of conservation. I could only stomach the 2000 version once, and Ive tried to erase it from my memory so I can't remember what that was about except special fx. Heck, maybe that WAS what we all want.
Nowadays is is often about an untouched land, safe from the modern influence of man and the heroes often desire to leave it that way whereas villians want to exploit it.

Dinotopia is another interesting example. It is mostly Gaia theory and a desire for man to realise we are all part of something greater. "Breathe Deep Seek Peace" , hence the books have little or no conflict at all. Dinosaurs are no longer the monsters.

I actually wrote a paper on this in college with a bunch of examples. I dunno where that is.

David Krentz