Re: Dinosaur themes in science fiction

Steve,

I have the Sanz book open here now and it looks like I'm going to get the Debus book as well. :)

Thanks to everyone for all the replies.

 Joe

Steve Walsh wrote:
Joe,
If you don't know them already I would recommend two books in exploring this idea:

Starring T. Rex!: Dinosaur Mythology and Popular Culture by Jose Luis Sanz and
Dinosaurs in Fantastic Fiction: A Thematic Survey by Allen A. Debus

The first is useful; the second essential.

Sanz's book lists a number of recurrent themes:

Lost worlds
Survivors
Time travel
Future worlds
Exodinosaurs
Genetically engineered
Coexistence
Conflict

A much more satisfying and coherent read is Debus's treatment. He takes an historic approach and identifies themes similar to Sanz but explores them far more comprehensively:

Journey through time geographically (e.g. Journey to the Centre of the Earth, Karel Zeman's Journey to the Beginning of Time)
Lost worlds (Doyle, Borroughs)
At War with Dinosaurs (Sanz's 'Conflict'; e.g. Capek's War with the Newts)
Cold war metaphors (Sanz's 'Survivors'; e.g. Gojira, Bradbury's The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms)
Time-relativistic Dinosaurs (Time Travel; e.g. 'Sound of Thunder', 'Gun for Dinosaur')
Dino-Trek (Sanz's 'Exodinosaurs'; e.g. McCaffrey's Dinosaur Planet)
Rise of the Raptor (Genetically engineered dinosaurs)
Living with Dinosaurs (e.g Dinotopia - Sanz's 'Coexistence') including dinosauroids (e.g. Harrison's Eden series)

Hope this is useful.

Steve Walsh