Re: Evolution of tyrannosauroid bite power

I'm not sure about when the strong bite power evolved,but I do seem to recall that Dilong and other early tyrannosaurs were mainly identified as such from their cranial anatomy, which would suggest that a distinctive skull was one of the first things to evolve, and this may have some bearing on when the jaw structure developed. However, I've yet to really look at the structure of Dilong's jaws or anything for evidence of its biting power.