RE: Evolution of tyrannosauroid bite power

The strong tyrannosaur bite did seem to evolve early on, although in
stepwise fashion.

Snively et al. (2006) discuss this to some degree in:
Snively, E., D.M. Henderson & D.S. Phillips. 2006. Fused and vaulted nasals
of tyrannosauroid dinosaurs: implications for cranial strength and feeding
mechanics. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica 51:435-454.
(Available for free online at http://app.pan.pl/acta51/app51-435.pdf)

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216