RE: Why did small dinos become extinct?

I don't think we are anywhere near a definitive answer to your question.
There are still a number of unanswered questions and not even a consensus on
the cause of the KT extinction (I don't think Keller is as loony as Martin
and the rest of the BANDits).

One thing that has been missed so far is that a lot of the survivors could
have hibernated and slept through the extinction (mammals/snakes/lizards)
depending on how quick the extinction was.

If you accept the global de-vegetation theory it is possible to postulate a
fast extinction of all large animals (bigger than a cat), everything that
was not an insectivore, as there must have been a bug spike to go with the
fern spike.

Not sure how the crocs made it through though.