RE: Evolution of tyrannosauroid bite power

These have not been modeled to the same extent as has T. rex, but based on a
variety of evidence (see the Snively et al. paper I posted about yesterday)
they would be expected to be high but nowhere near as high as Tyrannosaurus.
In Theirren et al.'s study in Carpenter's Carnivorous Dinosaurs volume, they
found Albertosaurus (and the abelisaurids) had twice the bite force of
Allosaurus, Ceratosaurus, etc., and that Daspletosaurus and Tyrannosaurus
had the highest bite forces of all the dinosaurs they studied (surpassing
Acrocanthosaurus and Giganotosaurus).

Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
Email: tholtz@umd.edu   Phone: 301-405-4084
Office: Centreville 1216