From: ptnorton <ptnorton@suscom-maine.net>
To: Dinosaur list mail <dinosaur@usc.edu>; tholtz@umd.edu
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 2:07:39 PM
Subject: RE: Evolution of tyrannosauroid bite power

Tom Holtz wrote on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 08:25:19 -0500

>Well, of course, and I think everyone working on this would agree
 exactly
>with that scenario.
>
>But a biomechanical analysis must needs focus on one particular part
 of the
>organism, and later be integrated into other comparable systems.

That is the traditional approach, but methods for analyzing the motion
 of
complex (i.e., multi-part) mechanical *systems* are being developed
 that
show a lot of promise for analyzing biomechanical systems. The
methodological problem in analyzing each part of an animal separately
 is
that the parts are not independent of one another.  Analyzing them as a

complex biomechanical system with multiple dependent parts is an effort
get away from that problem. For an example from mechanics, see Hong and

Cipra's 2003 paper illustrating a method to analyze the motion of
 complex
cable-pulley systems, which can be found on-line at
http://www.me.vt.edu/romela/RoMeLa/Publications_files/JMD2003_CablePulley.pdf.
It's probably not the best example, but it's useful for illustrating
 the
distinction I was trying to make. It seems to me that the relationship
between arm size and bite power, or arm strength and hip strength,
 offer
some real potential for using this type of systems analysis.

PTJN

The axes of truth and utility are not coincident.