From: Tim Williams <twilliams_alpha@hotmail.com>
To: dinosaur@usc.edu
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:00:18 PM
Subject: RE: Evolution of tyrannosauroid bite power

Don Ohmes wrote:

> Keeping it simple; given that all theropods were constructed of the
 same
> materials, wouldn't relative arm size be expected to generally
 decrease as
> overall size increased, irregardless of the implications of diet?

No, this doesn't happen.  It's horses for courses.  True, tyrannosaurs,
 abelisaurs and _Giganotosaurus_ exemplify this trend; but there are
 also some quite large theropods that have relatively long arms, such
 as
 _Deinocheirus_ and some of the larger maniraptorans (e.g.,
  _Gigantoraptor_, large dromaeosaurs, large therizinosaurs).

Cheers

Tim