RE: Hypotarsus

Hi, I don't know of any such analysis for extinct dinos but Frank Fuss did
some nice work on knee joint ligaments (cruciates etc)-- not sure what is
meant by hypotarsus as that's at the ankle and there are no cruciates per se
there (that I know of in birds etc anyway; if there are, no one has really
detailed them much).  Cracraft's 1973ish pigeon functional morph mega-study
had some ligament details too, and then general books/chapters on avian
myology and arthrology/desmology have more, but you've probably seen those.

As for the ankle's hypotarsus, again not much functional analysis I can
recall for birds, although I think there was a bit in some diving bird
papers I read long ago. Other than Fuss's work I don't know of any grand (or
non-hyperspecialized) comparative/ecomorphological studies on these things,
but they may exist buried in the ornithology literature somewhere.

--John R. Hutchinson