Re: Pterodactylus kochi

Quoting Mike Taylor <mike@indexdata.com>:

Speaking of which, for someone who talks about _Brachiosaurus brancai_
a lot, I sure such as pronouncing it.  I've been saying either
"brank-eye" or "brank-ee-eye", but given that the name honours Branca,
I assume that something more like "branka-eye" would be correct?  Can
anyone help me out?

I would say either "branka-eye" or "branka-ee" would be appropriate. I've kind of given up on getting people to standardize pronunciations of terms like this. They are, first and foremost, written words; the process of transduction from written to spoken, particularly in English, is tortuous and idiosyncratic, though rather fascinating in its own right.

(And a plea to all of you who publish new names: PLEASE include a
suggested pronunciation in the systematic palaeontology.  Thanks to
Jerry for doing this with _Suuwassea_ -- one of the few dinosaur
names that there is no excuse for mispronouncing!)

And a second plea: if you do this, please do it in IPA, and not English pseudo-phonetic spelling!

--
Nick Pharris
Department of Linguistics

"Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    --Edwin H. Land