RE: Deltadromeus teeth

> From: owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu [mailto:owner-DINOSAUR@usc.edu]On Behalf Of
> ackolbert@aol.com
>

> It seems there are a lot of smaller Morrocan raptor teeth (< 1") out
> there identified as Deltadromeus agilis.  There are also a small number
> of very large ones.  Does anyone have a reference for the teeth of this
> species?  The larger, rarer ones, which I am inclined to believe are
> actually associated with an animal 25 feet long, seem hard to
> distinguish from Carcharodontosaurus saharicus.  Any hints?

The reference of the smaller Morroccan teeth to _Deltadromeus_ is "the
imagination of the sellers"... In other words, the sellers
just make it up.

Now, to be fair, it is not an unreasonable idea: _Deltadromeus_ would have
passed through size ranges in which it could have
produced such teeth. But since we don't yet have a skull for this beastie, we
don't know what its teeth looked like. Simple
blade-like teeth is the simplest bet, but we do know that its relative
_Masiakasaurus_ had a complement of bizarre teeth as well as
typical ziphodont dentition.

And ones hard to distinguish from _Carcharodontosaurus_ are probably FROM
_Carcharodontosaurus_!

                Thomas R. Holtz, Jr.
        Mailing Address:
                Building 237, Room 1117