A question about tooth enamel and drawing dietary conclusions

As I understand it, examining the thickness of the tooth enamel and
the shape of the teeth tells scientists the likely diet of that
animal. But what if the environment or food source changed so quickly
that evolution shaping the teeth to suit the food source lags behind?
Then we have a disparity between what the animal actually eats and
what the teeth say they should eat.

How do scientists work this problem out?