Re: Incredibly Lame PAUP* Question

Mike Taylor (mike@indexdata.com) wrote:

<... and thanks anyway to David Hone, who pointed me towards the solution to my
previous problem and to Mickey Mortimer, who came right out and told me the
answer.  I needed to tell PAUP* that my constraint tree was describing a
backbone constraints rather than a monophyly constraint.>

  There is another technique you can try, without making an asusmption for the
back bone, by finding the root tree that never changes with each taxon. You run
the tree with only ONE of each of the problem OTU's, and repeat this process
for each OTU you are investigating. Constrain only the common trees among each,
so that these topologies cannot change when you add in all or any other number
of OTU's. The end result should be more resolved than without the constraints.

  Cheers,

Jaime A. Headden
http://bitestuff.blogspot.com/

TV dinner still cooling?